Tuesday, April 24, 2007

How To Get Things Done With No Deadline

From the wonderful and inspiring blog by famed Buffy writer Jane Espenson,
some advice about how to finish projects regularly without setting
yourself artificial deadlines - which rarely work for me, so the job ends
up expanding to fill the time allotted for it:

"Well, save me from myself, because the answer seems to be: take on
another project. Suddenly, that distant deadline looks a lot closer,
doesn't it? Because I know there's that other thing that also has to get
done in the same amount of time. Now I'm working -- fast, smoothly,
without a lot of hand-wringing and pacing. Just writin' without thinkin'.

My father always says 'give the job to the busy person.' He means that the
reason that the busy person has so much work on their desk is because
everyone knows that they're the one who will get it done. There's a lot to
be said for making yourself the busy person."

http://www.janeespenson.com/archives/00000204.php


This idea makes me feel a little scared, even gives me that sensation in
my gut remembering what it can be like to be overwhelmed with commitments.
And yet I think there's wisdom there. As I greatly improve my organization
and hence ability to manage multiple projects, I actually find I *want* to
take on more. For instance, becoming the VP of education of Queen's
Toastmasters. In general, these projects are getting done - largely
because I see the other ones lined up behind them.

No comments: