Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Complete journal scans

Thanks Jim, this sounds like a potentially extremely useful exercise.
Could you say anything more, maybe in the comments, about the process,
like how you will decide whether a particular title is going to be
important and what you do with it then? How much time do you think the
whole thing will take you?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:13:58 -0400
From: Jim Davies <xxxx@xxxx.com>
To: Daniel Saunders <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: you can put this on your blog if you want. I just put it on mine

Through Queen's Library webpage I can access PDFs of many journals
going for years back. There are probably around 20 or 30 journals that
I cite from most often. I just realized how easy it is to look at the
titles of every paper published in a journal for the past 50 years or
so.

So my plan is to take the time to work through these journals,
downloading papers and making notes regarding which project ideas the
papers are important for. I'll go back as far as I feel is important.
After this is done once for a journal, then all I have to do is keep
up.

I also have a plan to review the most recent year of articles in all
of these journals every year. I put a repeating date (Feb 12) to
review the journals into my palm pilot. This way I will feel
comfortable that important journal papers will not slip past my
notice. Attached to the date is the list of journals I will review. I
can keep this list updated. I suppose I can do this for conferences
too, if they have online archives.

--
JimDavies http://www.jimdavies.org/

No comments: