Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Welcome to How I Work

Hi and welcome to How I Work! The title is a little stern, but I like it because it sums up the two things this is going to be about:

1) The procedures, rules and guidelines I live by in my daily life, both to get chores and various duties done, and also to produce creative work, like writing, research, etc and

2) How my own mind works. I am always trying to figure that out, for one thing to aid in continually tweaking those procedures, rules and guidelines for daily productivity and contentedness - and to outsmart myself when it comes to things like procrastination ("Bastard! He's always one step ahead!"). Here's Socrates (via Plato, via this course I took on classical rhetoric):"I ... investigate not these things, but myself, to know whether I am a monster more complicated and furious than Typhon or a gentler and simpler creature to whom a divine and quiet destiny has been given by nature."

I have started this blog for friends who might be interested, to share some of the procedures, rules and guidelines I have been working on, in the particular hope that they will comment and suggest and share what works for them. I like the fact that it's electronic so that it can be continually updated, as all these procedures, rules and guidelines must be, so that they're things that I can and do follow. No point in having ones that just sit there and make you feel bad: these are to help the person I actually am, rather than who I wish I was. Anyway hope you find entries here to stir your thoughts about your own working habits, and even to inspire you.

No comments: