Thursday, November 03, 2011

Freedom from Internet Self-Distraction

If you have a mac, and struggle with internet self-distraction like I do
("I just don't think I can write another word until I find out what
Phoebe Cates has been up to lately") there's a beautifully simple
application that might help you called Freedom. It blocks your
computer's internet connectivity until a predetermined number of minutes
has passed, or you restart - which is nice as a barrier high enough to
stop me cheating, but low enough enough that I'm not terribly
inconvenienced in an emergency.
http://macfreedom.com/
For some reason the idea of becoming too dependent on it makes me uneasy
(shouldn't I learn some self-control eventually?) but used like
caffeine, as some extra mojo to power through something once in a while,
it's awesome.

No comments: