Saturday, February 19, 2011

30 Minute Writing

I'm very excited about this approach to writing right now:

http://jimdavies.blogspot.com/2010/12/write-in-how-can-i-get-more-writing.html

Essentially, you write every single day, and for 30 minutes of concentration without switching away from your word processor. I've been doing it for about 3 weeks now, and it's helping me just crush through difficult bits of writing, with almost no angst. (I do more than one 30 minute block per day, but widely spaced apart) Awesome stuff. I hope to keep it up for the rest of my professional career, no matter what stage my research is at.

I think the 30 minute unitasking approach could help in other areas of life too. This week I've been doing 1/2 an hour of housework a day, and that has had amazing results too. Hard focus is the magic sauce that makes tasks easy and even pleasant. More and more I realize how precious it is.

No comments: