Friday, July 21, 2006

Rudy Rucker's Writer's Toolkit

From Rudy Rucker, a science fiction writer I admire a lot:

http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/faculty/rucker/writerstoolkit.pdf

All kinds of great stuff, including: the fractal nature of writing, which
I was just thinking about while finishing my thesis draft - how you are
trying to make it good on every level at once; having a separate file for
notes and how to organize it; Be a magpie; having an "on deck" section;
design patterns for fiction; and surprise, the "next action" idea which
has made such a difference to my working habits since I got it from David
Allen's Getting Things Done (to get moving on a piece of work, write down
at least one simple, physical action to do on it)

He makes working on a fiction project sound really exciting, a way of
engaging with the world and finding constant stimulation in it: "Stay open
to every possible influence, be a sensitive antenna, and you'll pick
something up....At times it feels as if the world, feeling your
sensitivity, gladly dances back. Dosie-do. Keep your eyes peeled."

1 comment:

David "checkback" Meade said...

I am so excited to see two of my favorite thinkers in the same post: Rudy Rucker and David Allen. This makes me very happy.